Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Recipe Review: Sweet Potato Chews

About 6 or so months ago, I discovered Pinterest.  And promptly fell in love with it.

So did Geoff.

Mostly because my favorite things to pin are new recipes.  Which means I'm constantly trying new recipes that I discover.  Most are hits.

Bandit has also benefited from it.  You see, our little Bandit is allergic to corn.  Which is found in a ridiculous amount of commercially available dog products...it's not even good for dogs if they're not allergic!  So we're the obsessive dog parents in the store checking labels.  So every now and then, I'll try making homemade treats.  My last adventure was before we moved to Florida, they turned out pretty well, but it made a huge batch.

I decided this time I'd try something a little easier...and by a little easy, I mean super easy: Sweet Potato Chews.  (Click here for the source.)

Here's what you do: cut a sweet potato in about 1/4" slices, put them in an oven heated to 250 degrees for about 3 hours, flipping half way through.  How much simpler can you get?!

In the oven

I also cut the sweet potatoes in half as Bandit is a little dog.  The result:

Final results

Mmmm chewy.  Because I cut them to be smaller than the original recipe called for, I probably shouldn't have left them in for the full 3 hours.  I suggest if you try it and keep them smaller, pull them before 3 hours hits.  You'll see the one in front that is more bright orange is the way they should be.  The darker brown ones got a little over done.

Bandit really likes them though, so it's a hit!  Best part: nothing artificial, no corn, just straight sweet potato.  I would definitely make them again!  According to the source (again, click here) they'll keep for up to 3 weeks in the fridge and 4 months in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment