Sunday, May 18, 2014

Birchbox May 2014 Review

Birchbox time again!  I'm a little late in posting my review, I received the box on Monday.  I got a 7 item box this month, which was awesome, even if I'm not thrilled with all the items.


For May they were working with Kate Spade Saturday - the inside of this box is super cute!  You also received a coupon for $25 off a $75 purchase (which I won't be using, so if you want it, let me know!)  For anyone not familiar with Birchbox, it's a monthly beauty subscription box that costs $10/month (including shipping.) They promise to ship by the 10th of every month and it comes via USPS in the mailbox.  You fill out a beauty profile to indicate your likes, skin tone, hair type, etc. So in theory, every box is tailored to you.

One of the big things with Birchbox is that you're able to review all the items in your box for 10 points each - every 100 points = $10 to spend in the Birchbox shop, so a 7 item box like this is essentially $7 towards a full-size item in their shop.  Last month I purchased $50 worth of product for $20 because I had points saved.  The hardest thing is really saving enough points before spending them if you want a higher value product!  Any brand that is featured in that month's box also ships free - even if it's not in your box. If you're interested in signing up, I'd be forever grateful if you used my referral link which gives me 50 points!  If you're curious, this is box variant #41.  Onto the box contents!


This is the Whish Shave Cream in Acai Grapefruit.  ...Not my favorite.  I don't really use shave creams, and I don't care for the smell of it.  I gave this to a friend.


This is the Gilchrist & Soames Spa Therapy Body Lotion.  Again, not my favorite.  I received a lotion from this brand 2 months ago - it was from a different line, but to me it's really similar.  Considering I didn't like the last lotion, I wasn't crazy about getting this brand again.  Sure enough, I can't stand the smell of this one either.  It's very heavily perfumed.  I also gave this one away to a friend.


Next is Nexxus Color Assure Pre-Wash Primer, Shampoo, & Conditioner. I haven't tried this yet, but we're heading out in a couple weeks for a long-weekend.  I'm planning on giving it a try then.  I'm hopeful that I'll like it since the full size versions are cheaper than the product I'm currently using (the Beauty Protector series.)


This is Pixi Lip Balm in Coral Crush. When I saw I was getting this, I was a little apprehensive since I received the Pixi Primer in my Ipsy in March and wasn't crazy about it.  Plus, I tend to wear pinks and purples on my lips, not shades in the coral/orange family.  Turns out, it's my favorite product in this month's box!  It's super moisturizing, the color is awesome, and it's fairly long-lasting for a lip balm.  This was also a full size version, which is awesome.  I'm very tempted to buy other shades!


My lifestyle extra this month was 32 Oral Care Effervescent Breath Crystals.  They're essentially minty Pop Rocks.  I'm not a huge fan of Pop Rocks, but I tried the peppermint ones.  Yep, not my favorite.  So I gave the other packet to Geoff.

Overall, this month was rather disappointing for me.  I gave 2.5 products away, and one of them was extremely similar to an item I got 2 months ago.  I'm also getting a little burned out on shampoo/conditioner samples since 3 out of my last 4 boxes have contained them (all 4 if you count the leave-in conditioner spray as one.)  I don't want to modify my profile and take out hair products, because I still want hair products, just I'm a little over shampoo/conditioner.  On the plus side, it was a 7 item box, so it essentially works out that I paid $3 for this box and I found a lip balm that I love!  Hopefully next month is better!

No comments:

Post a Comment