Friday, August 17, 2012

Disney Dining Review: Backlot Express and Starring Rolls

The other weekend I went up to Hollywood Studios with a new friend.  (Yay for new friends!)


For lunch, we went to Backlot Express.  Counter Service options at Hollywood Studios always seem to leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.  And seeing as how it was hot out (it IS August in Florida!) the number one requirement for lunch was anywhere we could eat indoors.  And I vetoed ABC Commissary because...ew. I've never had anything I liked there.



So we went over to Backlot Express.  We had a little bit of an early lunch around 11:30, so it wasn't crowded yet.  If you haven't been there before, it's designed to be essentially a Prop Warehouse...hence the Backlot name.  The menu is pretty standard for a theme park: burgers, chicken nuggets, salads, and a sandwich.

My friend got the bacon cheeseburger with fries:


It was a pretty decent burger.  They have a number of sauces available, honey mustard, ranch, bbq, and of course mustard & ketchup.

I got the toasted turkey sandwich, with carrots instead of fries:


The sandwich has turkey, cheese, peppers, and arugula on multi-grain ciabatta bread.  It's a pretty tasty option if you're trying to find healthier options that aren't salads.  Of course, I hate peppers, so I picked them off.  I originally asked for it without peppers, but was told that it would take 10 minutes longer.  Which is a little ridiculous.  And I'm not allergic, just picky, so I just picked them off when I got them.

All in all, Backlot Express is one of the better options at the Studios, but it's still not my favorite park for counter service options.

A few hours later we decided it was time for something sweet.  We headed over to Starring Rolls so I could introduce her to Disney cupcakes.  We couldn't make up our minds, so we got 2 and split them!

Chocolate Peanut Butter

Red Velvet

The chocolate peanut butter one was really more like chocolate and then some more chocolate.  I didn't really taste any peanut butter.  Which means in my book, red velvet is still my favorite cupcake at Starring Rolls.  It's quite divine.  I think it's the cream cheese frosting.  I just love it.  It's not as sweet as a buttercream frosting, so with how much frosting they have on the cupcake, it's fabulous.  I would recommend the red velvet.

My next Disney reviews will be coming from Disneyland!  I know you're excited!...I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment